Pag’s Old Town developed spontaneously over the Middle Ages thanks to the exploitation of salt,…KulturaRead More
Special offer for accommodation
The olives of Lun
Ruins of fortified walls
Pag’s Old Town
Veliko Blato and Malo Blato are wetlands in the southern part of the Island of Pag. Since marshes are rare on the islands, in 1988 they were placed under protection as ornithological reserves. The area of Veliko Blato is a natural water source that supplies a part of the island of Pag with water, albeit in small quantities. The areas of Veliko and Malo Blato have high biological importance, as they provide a home or temporary refuge to many indigenous species of nesting, migrating and hibernating birds. A total of 168 bird species have been documented at this habitat.
Lun, the northernmost settlement on the island of Pag, is known for the olive groves that have adorned the specific local landscape for centuries. The groves stretch over 24 hectares of land, containing over 80,000 trees of the common European cultivar (Olea europaea var. communis) grafted onto wild trees (Olea oleaster linea). Their average age is an estimated 1,200 years, and the oldest olive tree in Lun is 1,600 years old. This grove, unique in the world, creates an unforgettable, soothing and relaxing atmosphere for visitors.The Lun olive groves were declared a natural reserve in 1963. They are a rarity not only on the island of Pag or in Croatia,…Read More
For centuries the Benedictine Convent of St. Margaret produced a rusk called baškotin. Back in 1540, the nuns acquired their first oven, which they began using to bake various cakes, buns and the baškotin. They invested their efforts into safeguarding their product, which is today entitled to use the Croatian Creation and the Croatian Island Product labels. The people of Pag value the baškotin more than any other bakery product, and it is a favourite present of former island residents who now live elsewhere.
The 15th meridian east passes through the island of Pag. It is marked by a marble monument placed along an unpaved road leading from the Bošana tract to the Sveti Duh (Holy Spirit) Beach, 5 km from the town of Pag. This is a nice spot where bicycle riders and hikers can enjoy the view. Read More
The construction of the new fortified town of Pag was completed in the latter half of the 15th century, in line with designs sketched in advance, which makes it a unique monument of urban planning in Croatia’s territory. Construction began on 18 may 1443. During works, particular attention was dedicated to construction of the walls, which are the fundamental determinants of its urban structure. In the spirit of Renaissance architecture, Pag’s fortified walls had circular, octagonal, pentagonal and rectangular with typically round bastions. The town’s main square lies at the intersection of the two main streets, and it is surrounded by the buildings of important local institutions: the Parish…Read More
Many catch their breath when Pag cheese is mentioned, and remember the salty taste it leaves on the palate. The renowned and recognised symbol of Pag carries the Croatian Creation label and represents both Pag and Croatia at all EU fairs. The quality starts developing with the first signs of the bora winds on Pag, which rushes down the slopes of the Velebit mountain and disperses a spray of sea water all over the island’s sparse vegetation. The sheep grazing on these salted pastures of medicinal herbs produce milk with a specific flavour and aroma which are preserved in the cheese.
Pag’s Old Town developed spontaneously over the Middle Ages thanks to the exploitation of salt, the dominant economic activity on the island. This hilly terrain in the immediate vicinity of the salt pans had about twenty churches, monasteries, a fortified citadel, a palace, a small and large loggia, and two, large and small, town square. Along the seashore, there was a salt warehouse and two berths: Veliki and Mali Mul. Fleeing before his enemies, King Bela IV found refuge in Pag in 1244. Pag’s denizens offered him great comfort and aid, and as a sign of gratitude Bela IV bequeathed free royal borough status on the town. Read More
If you not change browser settings, you agree to it. Learn more
Directive 2002/58 on Privacy and Electronic Communications, otherwise known as E-Privacy Directive, is an EU directive on data protection and privacy in the digital age. It presents a continuation of earlier efforts, most directly the Data Protection Directive. It deals with the regulation of a number of important issues such as confidentiality of information, treatment of traffic data, spam and cookies. This Directive has been amended by Directive 2009/136, which introduces several changes, especially in what concerns cookies, that are now subject to prior consent.